- A line on a map marking an area having a distinct linguistic feature.More example sentences
- Such boundaries are called isoglosses and are themselves subjected to various shades of definition.
- The following map, for example, shows several isoglosses for different grammatical features of Anishinaabemowin.
- All words belonging to the same isogloss must have sound correspondences and clear similarities in form and meaning.
early 20th century: from iso- 'equal' + Greek glōssa 'tongue, word'.
More definitions of isoglossDefinition of isogloss in:
- The US English dictionary