Definition of isometric in English:
2 Physiology Relating to or denoting muscular action in which tension is developed without contraction of the muscle.
- We did not use a tensiometer to measure the isometric power of the shoulder.
- In vivo, the diaphragm does not perform maximum isometric contractions but shortens against a submaximal load.
- Isometric tension should thus decrease because it is proportional to duty ratio.
3(In technical or architectural drawing) incorporating a method of showing projection or perspective in which the three principal dimensions are represented by three axes 120° apart.
- Eakins taught perspective, mechanical drawing, and isometric drawing to his students at the Pennsylvania Academy using a manual that he wrote for the purpose but never published.
- Although the stitched textiles have physical presence, their intersecting linear passages function primarily as isometric drawing.
- Type Is at the command line to quickly shift cursors for isometric drawing views.
4 Mathematics (Of a transformation) without change of shape or size.
- In isometric change, shape is constant at all sizes.
- The applet allows for experimentation with two other families of isometric curves.
- Codazzi also published on isometric lines, geodesic triangles and the stability of floating bodies.
- Example sentences
- The authors solve this problem for isometrically coiled shells in a very elegant manner that takes advantage of the spiral curves' inherent geometry.
- Muscle tension was recorded isometrically under a resting tension of 10 mN as reported previously.
- Squeeze your contracted muscle isometrically as you complete each rep to intensify the effort and maximize the pump.
Words that rhyme with isometricanthropometric, asymmetric, diametric, geometric, kilometric, metric, obstetric, psychometric, pyrometric, sociometric
Definition of isometric in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan