noun (plural same)North American
- A Japanese immigrant to North America. Compare with nisei and sansei.More example sentences
- It's been almost 100 years since the issei, or first-generation Japanese Americans, moved to Bainbridge, and today there are several ways to experience their heritage.
- The Japanese form of primogeniture dictated, for the issei generation of women, that the transfer of familial power and property was from husband to first-born son.
- Many critics have observed that Yamamoto is not unsympathetic to the plight of issei men.
Japanese, literally 'generation'.
More definitions of isseiDefinition of issei in:
- The US English dictionary