1Relating to an isthmus.
- Under the Admiral, the class of 1897 considered ‘the naval problems arising in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico out of French interest in an isthmian canal.’
- Butler alleged that his thin Marine units bled less to aid isthmian residents than to advance American corporations' interests.
- Such proposals as acquiring Hawaii, the Dominican Republic, and the Danish West Indies came to nothing at the time, as did plans for an isthmian canal and a worldwide telegraphic communications network.
1.1 (Isthmian) Relating to the Isthmus of Corinth in southern Greece.
- A 400-character mask inscription dating from the Mayan period appears to refute earlier claims to have translated Isthmian script.
- The Baltimore Sun elaborates on an ongoing dispute over the decoding of Isthmian, a writing system whose linguistic base, let alone characters, are unclear.
- Finally, Mahan advocated and strongly urged the building of what he called an Isthmian canal.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: isth|mian
Definition of isthmian in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.