Definition of isthmian in English:
1Relating to an isthmus.
- Under the Admiral, the class of 1897 considered ‘the naval problems arising in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico out of French interest in an isthmian canal.’
- Butler alleged that his thin Marine units bled less to aid isthmian residents than to advance American corporations' interests.
- Such proposals as acquiring Hawaii, the Dominican Republic, and the Danish West Indies came to nothing at the time, as did plans for an isthmian canal and a worldwide telegraphic communications network.
1.1 (Isthmian) Relating to the Isthmus of Corinth in southern Greece.
- A 400-character mask inscription dating from the Mayan period appears to refute earlier claims to have translated Isthmian script.
- The Baltimore Sun elaborates on an ongoing dispute over the decoding of Isthmian, a writing system whose linguistic base, let alone characters, are unclear.
- Finally, Mahan advocated and strongly urged the building of what he called an Isthmian canal.
Words that rhyme with isthmianantinomian
Definition of isthmian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan