noun (plural isthmuses)
- 1A narrow strip of land with sea on either side, forming a link between two larger areas of land.More example sentences
- Land routes are really old, especially through isthmuses.
- The British arrived almost a century ago to build the railroad that slices across the isthmus, linking the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific Ocean.
- Only one study to date has used calibration points from the fossil record to estimate the divergence of sister species distributed on both sides of the isthmus.
- 2 (plural isthmi) Anatomy A narrow organ, passage, or piece of tissue connecting two larger parts.More example sentences
- Thoracic aortic injuries most often occur at the aortic isthmus in the majority of the cases.
- It has 2 lobes, called the right lobe and the left lobe, joined by a narrow isthmus.
- The cervix forms the lower third, connected by a narrow isthmus to the main muscular body of the uterus.
mid 16th century: via Latin from Greek isthmos.
More definitions of isthmusDefinition of isthmus in:
- The US English dictionary