- 1Belonging to or associated with a thing previously mentioned or easily identified: turn the camera on its side he chose the area for its atmosphereMore example sentences
- She drove across the grass area, hit the road sign and the car turned over on to its side.
- You could serve it as a side dish, on its own with a salad, or as part of buffet spread.
- The bow is separated from the main body of the wreck and rests on its starboard side.
- 1.1Belonging to or associated with a child or animal of unspecified sex: a baby in its mother’s wombMore example sentences
- The ideal is for a lamb to have milk from its mother as soon as possible after birth.
- Owner Jane Organ said it was tragic for the pup to be taken from its mother at such a young age.
- She may be its mother but that does not give her the right to decide whether or not it lives or dies.
A common error in writing is to confuse the possessive its (as in turn the camera on its side ) with the contraction it’s (short for either it is or it has, as in it’s my fault ; it’s been a hot day ). The confusion is at least partly understandable since other possessive forms (singular nouns) do take an apostrophe + -s, as in the girl’s bike ; the President’s smile .
More definitions of itsDefinition of its in:
- The US English dictionary