The seed of a tropical American palm, which, when hardened, is a source of vegetable ivory. Also called tagua nut.
- The palm is Phytelephas macrocarpa, family Palmae
More example sentences
- The trees produce a vegetable ivory nut or seed called Tagua nut, they grow in large armored clusters with each cluster containing many nuts.
- Vegetable ivory or ivory nuts are primarily the nuts of the Tagua palm tree although other palms of the same subfamily also produce ivory nuts.
- Conservation International is carrying out the Tagua Initiative project to promote sustainable harvest of the ivory nuts in rural communities in Esmeraldas Province as a means of protecting the forests in which this species occurs.
Definition of ivory nut in:
- The US English dictionary