Definition of ivy in English:
noun (plural ivies)
1 [mass noun] A woody evergreen Eurasian climbing plant, typically having shiny, dark green five-pointed leaves.
- Genus Hedera, family Araliaceae: several species, in particular the common H. helix, which is often seen climbing on tree trunks and walls
- Standards of plants not requiring dormant cycles, such as bougainvillea, hibiscus, ivies or geraniums, have a simple winter culture.
- Spider plants and ivies are ideal for desks, and a large-leaved Ficus lyrata or Phoenix roebelinii will cheer up a bare corner.
- Containers can be given a new lease of life by replacing these plants with autumn and winter specimens such as pansies, winter-flowering heathers, hardy cyclamen and evergreen ivies.
1.1Used in names of climbing plants similar to ivy, e.g. poison ivy, Boston ivy.
- I don't much like poison ivy but that doesn't mean I don't like ivy, or plants.
- Boston Ivy can easily climb tree bark, wooden fences, concrete masonry, and brick or stone walls.
- Boston Ivy, Parthenocissus tricuspidata is a deciduous vine with tendrils. Boston Ivy has glossy dark green leaves that turn bright red in the fall.
2An Ivy League university: many of the Ivies had been founded for the purpose of training students as ministers
More example sentences
- Traditionally, Princeton has also been far less a magnet for media coverage than Ivies with departments, such as Harvard or Yale.
- The prep schools and the Ivies are a key part of the Northeast's identity, its sense of academic excellence and its aristocratic subculture.
- He was smart enough to be recruited by the Ivies yet never finished his degree at Maryland.
2.1A prestigious college or university of a specified region or type: Duke is considered one of the ‘Southern Ivies’ one would think that seats at these public Ivies would be reserved for graduates of that state’s high schools
More example sentences
- Boston College sent out a notice that it had been named one of the 25 "New Ivies" in Newsweek.
- According to The Public Ivies: America's Flagship Public Universities, the University of Colorado Boulder is considered one of the prestigious "Public Ivy League" schools.
- There is also a trend toward the semiprivatization of state flagship campus institutions (now being called "the public Ivies"), which may push fees yet higher.
Words that rhyme with ivySylvie • grovy
Definition of ivy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan