Definition of ivy in English:
1A woody evergreen Eurasian climbing plant, typically having shiny, dark green five-pointed leaves.
- Genus Hedera, family Araliaceae: several species, in particular the common H. helix, which is often seen climbing on tree trunks and walls
- Standards of plants not requiring dormant cycles, such as bougainvillea, hibiscus, ivies or geraniums, have a simple winter culture.
- Spider plants and ivies are ideal for desks, and a large-leaved Ficus lyrata or Phoenix roebelinii will cheer up a bare corner.
- Containers can be given a new lease of life by replacing these plants with autumn and winter specimens such as pansies, winter-flowering heathers, hardy cyclamen and evergreen ivies.
1.1Used in names of climbing plants similar to ivy, e.g. poison ivy, Boston ivy.
- I don't much like poison ivy but that doesn't mean I don't like ivy, or plants.
- Boston Ivy can easily climb tree bark, wooden fences, concrete masonry, and brick or stone walls.
- Boston Ivy, Parthenocissus tricuspidata is a deciduous vine with tendrils. Boston Ivy has glossy dark green leaves that turn bright red in the fall.
Definition of ivy in:
- US English dictionary