- A South African plant of the iris family, which bears showy six-petalled starlike flowers on tall wiry stems and has sword-shaped leaves.
More example sentences
- Genus Ixia, family Iridaceae: many cultivars
- Bulbs native to Mediterranean and other climates [include] babiana, sparaxis, tritonia, watsonia, bearded iris, ixia, Oxalis purpurea, Scilla Peruviana, freesias, the small alliums, etc.
- Finally, fynbos includes more than 1 500 species of bulbs or geophytes, many of which have been developed worldwide as valuable horticultural plants, e.g., freesias, agapanthus, gladioli, and ixias.
- Ixias have flat one inch to one and one-half inch flowers on top of wiry 10 to 15-inch stems.
modern Latin, from Latin, denoting a kind of thistle, from Greek.
More definitions of ixiaDefinition of ixia in:
- The US English dictionary