- (In Mexico and Central America) a plant fibre used for cordage, nets, and carpets.
More example sentences
- This fibre is obtained chiefly from Agave species (family Agavaceae), in particular A. funkiana and A. lecheguilla
- Craftsman José Isabel Quiroz learned how to weave ixtle from his father, who still works with him.
- Pita is another maguey fiber, finer than ixtle, used to create fancy trim on the edges of leather work.
- This is a stiff fibre, yet Aztec techniques for the spinning and weaving of ixtle were capable of producing flexible and delicate cloth.
late 19th century: via American Spanish from Nahuatl ixtli.
More definitions of ixtleDefinition of ixtle in:
- The US English dictionary