- An insectivorous bird of tropical American forests, with a long pointed bill, a long tail, and plumage that is typically iridescent green above.
More example sentences
- Family Galbulidae: several genera and species
- Those who prefer altitude can climb the lodge's seven-story, 115-foot canopy tower and stop at each level to observe tanagers, jacamars, guans, and oropendulas in action.
- Hiring a guide is a good idea, since trained eyes will point out more rufous-tailed jacamars and blue-crowned mot-mots than you'd ever spot on your own.
- Jacamars prefer to eat large, showy, flying insects such as blue morpho butterflies, hawk moths, and venomous insects such as wasps, ants, and sawflies.
early 19th century: from French, apparently from Tupi.
More definitions of jacamarDefinition of jacamar in:
- The US English dictionary