Definition of jackboot in English:
1A large leather military boot reaching to the knee.
- After dinner, Roger appeared in military fatigues, complete with hat, sunglasses, jackboots, and swagger stick.
- And a combatant could choose more propitious venues for the slugfest than the steps of the Hotel Ukraine in the heart of Moscow, hard by Lenin's tomb where minions of the Red Army goosestep in jackboots at all hours.
- Within only six weeks, the French army had collapsed and shell-shocked Parisians were forced to watch as German soldiers paraded through their streets, the sound of their jackboots signalling the defeat of a great power.
1.1Used as a symbol of cruel or authoritarian behaviour or rule: a country under the jackboot of colonialism
More example sentences
- Of course the entire region really was under the jackboot, if you like, of apartheid rule.
- One less problem now that this voice of free thought has been stamped out under the jackboot.
- The only way that successive regimes in Jakarta have been able to prevent the rise of separatist sentiment, however, is with the jackboot of the military.
- Example sentences
- To conclude, Melbourne is a vibrant, bustling metropolis, in which parking restrictions are enforced with far too much enthusiasm and vigour by jackbooted bureaucrats.
- But I can't get together with my buddies and play a friendly poker game without the threat of a bunch of jackbooted thugs in police uniforms busting into my house.
- Gore Vidal, much to his own surprise no doubt, manages to prove that he is once again quite capable of dissenting without him getting carted off at midnight by jackbooted thugs.
Words that rhyme with jackbootPaiute • freeboot • top boot
Definition of jackboot in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan