- 1.1 [mass noun] A fabric made on a loom fitted with a jacquard, with an intricate variegated pattern.More example sentences
- The company offers its customers multi-textured materials, including hand-loomed cottons, cotton canvases, linens, hemps, silks, jacquards, chenilles and velvets in muted earth tones as well as rich, primary colours.
- Prints return on textured grounds, such as jacquards, linens and surface-interest weaves.
- Some of the fabrics highlighted were silk/cotton double-face duchesse satin, silk/linen jacquards and a new subtle threecolor iridescent taffeta.
- 1.2 (also jacquard loom) A loom fitted with a jacquard.More example sentences
- Jidabai Kunte, who creates a narli or coconut-mesh like reticulate border on her Paithani loom, explains, ‘The jacquard technique makes it possible to weave much faster.’
early 19th century: named after Joseph M. Jacquard (1787–1834), French weaver and inventor.
More definitions of jacquardDefinition of jacquard in:
- The US English dictionary