- A city and port on the Mediterranean coast of Israel, forming a southern suburb of the Tel Aviv conurbation and since 1949 united with Tel Aviv; population (with Tel Aviv) 392,500 (est. 2008). Inhabited since prehistoric times, Jaffa was a Byzantine bishopric until captured by the Arabs in 636; later, it was a stronghold of the Crusaders. Hebrew name Yafo; biblical name Joppa.
(also Jaffa orange)
nounBritish • trademark
- A large oval orange of a thick-skinned variety.More example sentences
- Chilled soup of Jaffa orange and natural yoghurt and oregano ice cream is served in the summer.
- This is part of the Boycott Israel campaign, which wants to prevent us from eating artichokes and Jaffa oranges.
- Jaffas, also known as Shamouti oranges, are an important Mediterranean orange mostly associated with Israel, and are fragrant and pleasantly sweet.