- A large heavily built cat that has a yellowish-brown coat with black spots, found mainly in the dense forests of Central and South America.
More example sentences
- Panthera onca, family Felidae
- The big cats you find outside Africa include tiger, jaguar, leopard, cougar and Iberian lynx.
- We had reached Mexico's Calakmul Biosphere Reserve, home to jaguarundis, ocelots, margays, pumas, and jaguars.
- In the event that it decides to develop the area, there will be serious risks to the health and long-term survival of the region which is home to jaguars, pumas, tapirs and many more endangered species.
early 17th century: from Portuguese, from Tupi-Guarani yaguára.
More definitions of jaguarDefinition of jaguar in:
- The US English dictionary