noun (plural jaguarundis)
A small American wild cat with a uniform red or grey coat, slender body, and short legs, found from Arizona to Argentina.
- Felis yagouaroundi, family Felidae
More example sentences
- We had reached Mexico's Calakmul Biosphere Reserve, home to jaguarundis, ocelots, margays, pumas, and jaguars.
- Or you may be lucky enough to spot one of the jaguar's smaller cousins: an ocelot or a puma, a margay or a jaguarundi.
- The refuge's fan-shaped palms harbor migrating warblers, green jays, and long-billed thrashers, and are part of a wildlife corridor for two endangered wild cats, the ocelot and jaguarundi.
mid 19th century: from Portuguese, from Tupi-Guarani, from yaguára 'jaguar' + undi 'dark'.
Definition of jaguarundi in:
- The US English dictionary