(also jamun tree)
Definition of jamun in English:
1A large evergreen Asian tree of the myrtle family, which yields edible fruit, tanbark, and fuelwood.
- Syzygium cumini, family Myrtaceae
- The drought-hardy jamun tree attains enormous height, and a well-grown tree could yield 80 to 100 kg of fruit.
- The wood of the jamun tree has unique water-resistant quality, which many trees could not boast of.
- The bark, seed, leaves, fruit and, in fact, every part of the jamun tree is believed to cure diabetes.
1.1The purplish edible berry of the jamun tree.
- Gulab jamuns can be prepared a day in advance, allowing them to fully soak overnight.
- But these bread gulab jamuns are not just easy to cook but also delicious to taste.
- The temperature should be adjusted to ensure that the gulab jamuns do not break or cook too quickly.
early 19th century: from Hindi jāmun.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan