Definition of jane in English:
nouninformal , chiefly US
A woman: some jane had come out defending him, some bigwig’s wife
More example sentences
- Not surprisingly, there are about three Joes for every Jane but even so, that means there are over 8 million Janes.
- Pretty much every Jane, Dick and Harry has a DVD writer in their PC system, DVD writers have become standard equipment.
early 20th century: from the given name Jane.
- An unattractive girl or woman: he’d never give a plain Jane like you a second’s thoughtMore example sentences
- Its angle is to take a group of plain Janes, make them over into glamour girls, and then have them all take part in a season-ending beauty pageant.
- But then as realisation dawns that the array of beauty products have not after all kept their ‘promise’ of turning the plain Jane into a stunning beauty as in those alluring ads, the search for newer range begins.
- Sixteen plain Janes fight it out in an extreme new reality show in a bid to become a beauty queen.
Definition of jane in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan