noun• informal , chiefly US
- A woman: some jane had come out defending him, some bigwig’s wifeMore example sentences
- Not surprisingly, there are about three Joes for every Jane but even so, that means there are over 8 million Janes.
- Pretty much every Jane, Dick and Harry has a DVD writer in their PC system, DVD writers have become standard equipment.
- An unattractive girl or woman: he’d never give a plain Jane like you a second’s thoughtMore example sentences
- Its angle is to take a group of plain Janes, make them over into glamour girls, and then have them all take part in a season-ending beauty pageant.
- But then as realisation dawns that the array of beauty products have not after all kept their ‘promise’ of turning the plain Jane into a stunning beauty as in those alluring ads, the search for newer range begins.
- Sixteen plain Janes fight it out in an extreme new reality show in a bid to become a beauty queen.
early 20th century: from the given name Jane.
More definitions of janeDefinition of jane in:
- The US English dictionary