- An Asian shrub of the rose family, with bright red flowers followed by round white, green, or yellow edible fruits. Also called Japanese quince.
More example sentences
- Genus Chaenomeles, family Rosaceae: several species, in particular C. speciosa, which is grown as an ornamental
- Catch up on the pruning and in particular the cutting back of spring-flowering shrubs such as Kerria japonica and winter jasmine.
- Summer flower species such as Spiraea japonica flower on growth made in the current year.
- A new shrub to our garden this year is the summer flowering Spiraea japonica Anthony Waterer which is still blooming here well into October.
early 19th century: modern Latin, feminine of japonicus 'Japanese'.
More definitions of japonicaDefinition of japonica in:
- The US English dictionary