Definition of jardinière in English:
1An ornamental pot or stand for the display of growing plants.
- It struck a bookcase, shattering the glass in the door, ricochetted off and demolished a large jardinière which spilled its potted palm onto the floor before its pieces themselves landed there on top of it.
- The cheapest lot going under the hammer is an earthenware jardinière made in Staffordshire, which is expected to fetch up to £60.
- A large Victorian brown and white meat platter made €100 at a recent Cork sale and an old Wedgwood jardinière made €120.
2A garnish of mixed vegetables.
- On the menu at the Vale of Lune's pre-match lunch was a choice of braised oxtail with a jardinière of vegetables or glazed ham with pineapples, good solid fare with a fancy name for the mixed vegetables.
- No more romantic table exists in New England than one overlooking the water at Clarke Cooke House's Porch restaurant, where you can begin with a duo of lobster and jumbo sea scallops with a jardinière of vegetables au beurre de crustaces.
mid 19th century: French, literally 'female gardener'.
Words that rhyme with jardinièreaffair, affaire, air, Altair, Althusser, Anvers, Apollinaire, Astaire, aware, Ayer, Ayr, bare, bear, bêche-de-mer, beware, billionaire, Blair, blare, Bonaire, cafetière, care, chair, chargé d'affaires, chemin de fer, Cher, Clair, Claire, Clare, commissionaire, compare, concessionaire, cordon sanitaire, couvert, Daguerre, dare, debonair, declare, derrière, despair, doctrinaire, éclair, e'er, elsewhere, ensnare, ere, extraordinaire, Eyre, fair, fare, fayre, Finisterre, flair, flare, Folies-Bergère, forbear, forswear, foursquare, glair, glare, hair, hare, heir, Herr, impair, Khmer, Kildare, La Bruyère, lair, laissez-faire, legionnaire, luminaire, mal de mer, mare, mayor, meunière, mid-air, millionaire, misère, Mon-Khmer, multimillionaire, ne'er, Niger, nom de guerre, outstare, outwear, pair, pare, parterre, pear, père, pied-à-terre, Pierre, plein-air, prayer, questionnaire, rare, ready-to-wear, rivière, Rosslare, Santander, savoir faire, scare, secretaire, share, snare, solitaire, Soufrière, spare, square, stair, stare, surface-to-air, swear, Tailleferre, tare, tear, their, there, they're, vin ordinaire, Voltaire, ware, wear, Weston-super-Mare, where, yeah
Definition of jardinière in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia