noun[mass noun] North American informal
Coffee: I’m dying for a cup of java
More example sentences
- But because Americans are not nearly as fond of dates as they are of coffee, java came out on top due to sheer popularity.
- He paused as he sniffed the air and glanced over at the coffee pot percolating java on the counter.
- I usually began the day with black tea and most afternoons enjoyed a cup of java or a latte.
noun[mass noun] trademark
A general-purpose computer programming language designed to produce programs that will run on any computer system.
- The phones use the platform independent programming language Java to perform complicated tasks.
- The Java software language is designed to let programs work on any type of hardware platform.
- Microsoft said it plans to phase out support for Java in key desktop software products.
1990s: with allusion to java.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.