1A light spear thrown in a competitive sport or as a weapon.
- Light cavalry carried a small sword and two or three javelins while the heavy force was equipped with scimitar, mace and a 4 meter lance.
- They were poised to throw their spears and javelins but I had a sudden impulse to stop them.
- To gain some protection by distancing themselves from the dangers of close combat, early fighters used throwing weapons - slings, bows, javelins, and spears.
1.1 (the javelin) The athletic sport of throwing a javelin: his nearest rival in the javelin
More example sentences
- She also won gold at other athletics events including the javelin, cross-country and 100m.
- The ancient Greeks pioneered several complex athletic techniques, especially in events such as the javelin and long-jump.
- I think this time round I'm just going to be concentrating on doing some throwing events, like the javelin, the discus and the shot putt.
Words that rhyme with javelinravelin
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: jav|elin
Definition of javelin in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.