Definition of javelin in English:
1A light spear thrown in a competitive sport or as a weapon.
- Light cavalry carried a small sword and two or three javelins while the heavy force was equipped with scimitar, mace and a 4 meter lance.
- They were poised to throw their spears and javelins but I had a sudden impulse to stop them.
- To gain some protection by distancing themselves from the dangers of close combat, early fighters used throwing weapons - slings, bows, javelins, and spears.
1.1 (the javelin) The athletic sport of throwing a javelin: his nearest rival in the javelin
More example sentences
- She also won gold at other athletics events including the javelin, cross-country and 100m.
- The ancient Greeks pioneered several complex athletic techniques, especially in events such as the javelin and long-jump.
- I think this time round I'm just going to be concentrating on doing some throwing events, like the javelin, the discus and the shot putt.
Definition of javelin in:
- US English dictionary