1A bird of the crow family with boldly patterned plumage, typically having blue feathers in the wings or tail.
- Family Corvidae: several genera and numerous species, in particular the Eurasian Garrulus glandarius, with a crest, mainly pinkish-brown plumage, and a harsh screech
More example sentences
- Disturbance after eggs are laid provides opportunities for predation by carrion crows, jays, kestrels, magpies, foxes and mink.
- The corvines - crows, rooks, jays, magpies and jackdaws - are relentless stealers of other birds' eggs and chicks.
- Anyone who has watched crows, jays, ravens and other members of the corvid family will know they're anything but ‘birdbrained.’
late 15th century: via Old French from late Latin gaius, gaia, perhaps from the Latin given name Gaius.
Definition of jay in:
- The US English dictionary