- Heavy twilled cotton cloth, especially denim: [as modifier]: a jean jacketMore example sentences
- The weather had taken a chilly turn overnight so I grabbed my heavy jean jacket and backpack and was out the door.
- A crowd pleaser was the dark denim jean skirt with pink pockets, paired with a pink tank top.
- Jean skirts, jean jackets, and all lengths and styles of jeans can give your wardrobe great variety!
late 15th century (as an adjective): from Old French Janne (now Gênes), from medieval Latin Janua 'Genoa', the place of original production. The noun sense comes from jean fustian, literally 'fustian from Genoa', used in the 16th century to denote a heavy twilled cotton cloth.
More definitions of jeanDefinition of jean in:
- The US English dictionary