Definition of jerkin in English:
1A sleeveless jacket.
- A sleeveless, quilted jerkin might be all you need for extra warmth - or a large, woollen wrap instead of a coat.
- She also decided to take woolen pants and jerkins as well as a thick lined jacket that was waterproofed.
- Cloaks, sashes, jerkins and gloves lined the very top shelf that went the width of the wardrobe.
1.1 historical A man’s close-fitting jacket, typically made of leather.
- The leather jerkin beneath her robe offered Kel a sense of security as she thought of those dangers.
- What surprised Maria was their lack of armor, except for a few that wore hardened leather jerkins over their tunics.
- He wore a black leather jerkin over a white long sleeve shirt.
Early 16th century: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with jerkinfirkin, gherkin, merkin, Perkin
Definition of jerkin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan