- The works, while clear, are also ambiguous; a number look ramshackle, jerry-built, jumbled - even chaotic.
- One friend in the Humvee was already dead from the blast of the jerry-built 90 mm mortar round, and one would die later.
- In contrast, say, to the Museum of Scotland, the new parliament building is going up as fast as a block of jerry-built flats.
- Example sentences
- This sort of pain is just what we would expect from natural selection, which is a jerry-builder.
- People needed housing, and providing this was left to jerry-builders who put together cheap, insufficient, flimsy dwellings that soon fell into disrepair.
- The whole of the belt of north and west Northumberland has been little changed through the centuries - it has not been desecrated either by the jerry-builder or by the spread of industry.
- Example sentences
- Yet many of these cathedrals looked grander than they were, and design faults, or perhaps jerry-building, caused a number of fiascos.
- If there was jerry-building, it was more likely to have been the result of haste - the impossible demands of an impatient emperor.
- If the apprentice was caught doing any jerry-building he would find it at his feet knocked down with a hammer.
Mid 19th century: origin unknown; sometimes said to be from the name of a firm of builders in Liverpool, or to allude to the walls of Jericho, which fell down at the sound of Joshua's trumpets (Josh. 6:20).
Poorly built houses have been described as jerry-built since the mid 19th century. The term is nothing to do with Jerry, a derogatory name for a German, probably based on the word ‘German’, that came out of the First World War. One suggestion is that jerry-built comes from the name of a firm of builders in Liverpool, or it may allude to the walls of Jericho, which in the biblical story fell down at the sound of Joshua's trumpet. The jerrycan [Second World War] does come from Jerry—it was originally used by Germans, but was adopted by the Allies in the Second World War.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: jerry-built
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.