- 1A professional joker or ‘fool’ at a medieval court, typically wearing a cap with bells on it and carrying a mock sceptre.More example sentences
- The gray-furred Child laughed, cavorting around the confused guards like a court jester in a medieval kingdom.
- Like the jester at a medieval court whose caperings and quips recalled the king to sanity, he aimed only to remind the world of its duty.
- The character has a variety of origins, from the medieval court jester to the licensed clown of the Feast of Fools.
- 1.1A person who habitually plays the fool.More example sentences
- Princess Maria and Prince Ron manage their Duchy well, but it is also the dumping ground for jesters, knaves and fools.
- Samis are often stereotyped as the comical helpers of Santa Claus or, even more negatively, as drunken fools or jesters.
- So the emperor granted his request and decreed that one day in the year would be set aside for fools and jesters to rule.