Definition of Jewry in English:
noun (plural Jewries)
1 [mass noun] Jews collectively.
- Moreover, the nation-states of the Enlightenment were considered more insidiously dangerous to Jewry than the nation-states of reaction.
- His aim was for the nation of Eastern European Jewry to survive and continue.
- Grenada and Cordoba were home to the Golden Age of Spanish Jewry under Muslim rule.
2 historical A Jewish quarter in a town or city.
- Here is one eyewitness account of an attack on the Jewry of Mainz in May of 1096.
- In the fifteenth century, urban Jewries continued to exist, and saw, during the reign of King René, a last period of relative tolerance.
Words that rhyme with Jewrycurie, de jure, fioriture, fury, houri, jury, Manipuri, Missouri, moory, Newry, tandoori, Urey
Definition of Jewry in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.