- (In Afghanistan) a tribal council: a three-day jirga of tribal elders concluded that it would oppose further military operations in their territoriesMore example sentences
- The Pushtun tradition also includes the convening of the tribal council also known as jirga to resolve major issues.
- After the welcoming ceremony, he spoke at the jirga - the council of elders - which met inside the village mosque.
- Yesterday, after 36 hours of volatile discussions, a jirga or traditional council, including 100 different groups had reached a fragile agreement.
mid 19th century: Pashto, 'council, assembly'.
More definitions of jirgaDefinition of jirga in:
- The US English dictionary