noun (plural same or Jivaros)
1A member of an indigenous people living widely scattered throughout the Amazon jungle.
- In his piece he discussed his research trips to the Jivaros, an Amazonian tribe in Ecuador.
- Gift-giving is also important among the Jivaro.
- Harner's book ‘Way of the Shaman’ is a good read though, and the Jivaro journeying method is a useful technique to experiment with.
Relating to the Jivaro or their language.
- Dogs hold a privileged position in Jivaro households.
- Next to him is a quite authentic Jivaro blow-gun originating with the people who used to make fully functional shrunken heads.
- In contrast, consider the Jivaro peoples of Peru / Ecuador.
Jivaroan adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- The Jivaro speak Jivaroan, which has many dialects.
From Spanish jíbaro, probably from the local name Shuara, Shiwora.
Definition of Jivaro in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.