Definition of jobless in English:
Unemployed: thousands of jobless youngsters
More example sentences
- Miami, Florida, with a 7.4 percent jobless rate, had the second highest in the nation.
- The weekly jobless claims this week came in lower than expected.
- According to the Labor Department, 8,594,000 workers are officially jobless.
unemployed, out of work, without work, out of a job, without paid employment, unwaged, workless, between jobs, redundant, laid off;
North American on welfare, collecting unemployment
British informal signing on, on the dole, ‘resting’
Australian/New Zealand informal on the wallaby track
North American informal collecting
- Example sentences
- Rising joblessness has made visas a hot-button issue.
- Despite the heightened joblessness, 29 percent believe they'll still have trouble finding suitable employees.
- Meanwhile, the economy is sliding rapidly into recession, deflation is worsening, and joblessness is at record levels.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia