Definition of jobless in English:
Unemployed: thousands of jobless youngsters
More example sentences
- Miami, Florida, with a 7.4 percent jobless rate, had the second highest in the nation.
- The weekly jobless claims this week came in lower than expected.
- According to the Labor Department, 8,594,000 workers are officially jobless.
unemployed, out of work, without work, out of a job, without paid employment, unwaged, workless, between jobs, redundant, laid off;
North American on welfare, collecting unemployment
British informal signing on, on the dole, ‘resting’
Australian/New Zealand informal on the wallaby track
North American informal collecting
- Example sentences
- Rising joblessness has made visas a hot-button issue.
- Despite the heightened joblessness, 29 percent believe they'll still have trouble finding suitable employees.
- Meanwhile, the economy is sliding rapidly into recession, deflation is worsening, and joblessness is at record levels.