noun[mass noun] North American
- A tall perennial plant of the daisy family, which bears clusters of small purple flowers.
More example sentences
- Eupatorium purpureum and E. maculatum, family Compositae
- Others are swamp blue aster, a pink turtlehead, speckled joe-pye weed, great lobelia, Pennsylvania buttercup, and several kinds of sedges.
- Plants at Holliday Park that are usually confined to fens are swamp blue aster, speckled joe-pye weed, and a rather rare species of pink turtlehead.
early 19th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of joe-pye weedDefinition of joe-pye weed in:
- The US English dictionary