Definition of joint tenancy in English:
The holding of an estate or property jointly by two or more parties, the share of each passing to the other or others on death.
- Bearing this in mind, we now look at joint tenancies and tenancies in common.
- Property held under a joint tenancy rather than separately passes to the survivor on death.
- I am afraid, however, that it would be quite contrary to the College's policy to create a joint tenancy with him.
joint tenant noun
- Example sentences
- Mrs Hamilton and myself own the property as joint tenants.
- On March 3, 1944, Elda and Roger Skidmore [the Skidmores] purchased the farm [including the disputed lands] as joint tenants.
- Correspondingly they held the Florida home as joint tenants, which home was purchased from funds the applicant brought into the relationship.
Definition of joint tenancy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan