Definition of joint tenancy in English:
The holding of an estate or property jointly by two or more parties, the share of each passing to the other or others on death.
- Bearing this in mind, we now look at joint tenancies and tenancies in common.
- Property held under a joint tenancy rather than separately passes to the survivor on death.
- I am afraid, however, that it would be quite contrary to the College's policy to create a joint tenancy with him.
joint tenant noun
- Example sentences
- Mrs Hamilton and myself own the property as joint tenants.
- On March 3, 1944, Elda and Roger Skidmore [the Skidmores] purchased the farm [including the disputed lands] as joint tenants.
- Correspondingly they held the Florida home as joint tenants, which home was purchased from funds the applicant brought into the relationship.
Definition of joint tenancy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.