Definition of joker in English:
1A person who is fond of joking.
- But the joke is on the joker, as any toddler could have told him.
- It is easy to see this in the case of a tendentious joke in which the joker, by dressing up his obscene thoughts or aggressive impulses in humorous guise, is circumventing his own internal inhibitions.
- Anyway, you can always spot a person from Osaka as they always make bad jokes apparently - the jokers of Japan, a bit like the way that all Scousers are funny in the UK.
1.1 informal A foolish or inept person: a bunch of jokers
More example sentences
- The response is lukewarm: the youth prefer Net jokes to messages from what they call the bunch of jokers.
- All these jokers not only want to have their cake and eat it too, but smash it in the public's face.
- The Bahamian worker can ill afford to have union dues subtracted from the pay envelope, to support uneducated jokers who know nothing about economics, to bring the wheels of the economy to a standstill.
2A playing card, typically bearing the figure of a jester, used in some games as a wild card.
- You Need: 2 decks of regular playing cards with jokers per person.
- Secondly, the only true works of art in regular playing card, are face cards the jokers and the ace of spades.
- Some people also use jokers as wild cards, which can represent any rank.
the joker in the pack
- A person or factor likely to have an unpredictable effect on events: the joker in the pack is, of course, the political situationMore example sentences
- Denmark's centre-right Dansk Folkeparti, the joker in the pack, made huge gains in last year's elections, winning 22 seats in the 179-seat parliament, but its views are less extreme than those of its European counterparts.
- Cathy Weber draws on her love of the intricate workings of the natural world while Larry Pirnie is the joker in the pack, with an expressive style which mixes yesterday's fantasies and today's realities in a whimsical manner.
- I've always been an extrovert, the joker in the pack,’ he admits.
Words that rhyme with jokerAsoka, broker, carioca, choker, coca, croaker, evoker, invoker, mediocre, ochre (US ocher), poker, provoker, revoker, Rioja, smoker, soaker, soca, Stoker, tapioca
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan