noun (plural jolies laides pronunc. same)
- A woman whose face is attractive despite having ugly features.More example sentences
- But though she may look the part of une jolie laide, rail-thin in all black and tortoiseshell shades, smoothing over her vowels as she drops French names, Feist is wary of ascribing too much Gallic flavour to Let it Die.
- More likely it was the jolie laide factor - the beautiful - ugly thing that made them so appealing to me.
- Like her, the private clients who exemplified her ‘hard chic’ look were often jolies laides.
French, from jolie 'pretty' and laide 'ugly', feminine adjectives.
More definitions of jolie laideDefinition of jolie laide in:
- The US English dictionary