Definition of jujube in English:
1The edible berry-like fruit of a Eurasian plant, formerly taken as a cough cure.
- Sweet muscadine grapes, blackberries, apples, jujubes and a host of other fruits will be available at these upcoming sales.
- The bride is fed jujubes, a date like fruit, to increase the chance of having a son in the near future.
- While there, I succumbed to the impulse buy of jujubes.
2 (also jujube bush) The shrub or small tree that produces the jujube fruit, native to the warmer regions of Eurasia.
- Ziziphus jujuba, family Rhamnaceae
- Aggressive planting of hawthorn, pyracantha, creeping juniper, holly, Chinese jujube, roses, blackthorn or prickly ash will help deter criminals.
- Plant jujube in a location that receives full sun and has well-drained soil with a neutral or slightly alkaline pH.
- The Indian jujube has leaves that are woolly beneath instead of smooth like the Chinese jujube.
Late Middle English: from French, or from medieval Latin jujuba, based on Greek zizuphos.
Definition of jujube in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.