- (Of a sailor) leave the ship on which one is serving without having obtained permission to do so: he jumped ship in Cape TownMore example sentences
- When the Dutch Fleet visited Australia in 1910 a large number of sailors jumped ship and at least twelve of them later settled in Adelaide.
- She's been feeling a bit low lately after a messy break-up, and I get the impression that things have been a bit stressful for her at work, with layoffs and people jumping ship.
- Escaping poverty, they simply jumped ship after docking in New York or San Francisco.
More definitions of jump shipDefinition of jump ship in:
- The US English dictionary