A plant seed that jumps as a result of the movement of a moth larva which is developing inside it.
- Affected seeds are found in several plants of the family Euphorbiaceae, in particular the Mexican plant Sebastiana pavoniana, the seeds of which can contain larvae of the moth Cydia saltitans
More example sentences
- They had obtained a pair of Mexican jumping beans.
- The movements of a jumping bean are actually caused by a caterpillar that lives inside the seed.
- The movement of a Mexican jumping bean will cause the tumbler to turn and toss about.
Definition of jumping bean in:
- The US English dictionary