Definition of juvie in English:
noun (plural juvies)informal
1A youth, especially one involved in disorder or criminal offences.
- In one of these alternate universes, I was run down at Southdale on Monday afternoon by two juvies hotrodding diagonally through the middle of a parking lot.
- Steve and his girl engage in some backwards drag racing with some other juvies and get pestered by the cops to, ‘Cool it.’
- He is the juvie from the wrong side of the tracks and she is the rich kid.
2 [mass noun] US A detention centre or court for juvenile offenders.
- Asked by an officer what he was thinking, he replied: "I'm going to go to juvie."
- Kids I knew from the neighborhood spent time in juvie.
- The latest is that he actually did a stint at a juvie hall for breaking into a CD store.
1940s: abbreviation of juvenile.
Definition of juvie in:
- US English dictionary