The fact of two things being seen or placed close together with contrasting effect: the juxtaposition of these two images
More example sentences
- Note the coincidental juxtaposition of these two Summer-themed songs.
- Another interesting thread is the juxtaposition of traditional and contemporary practice.
- A kind of levelling has taken place, in which works co-exist in democratic if sometimes odd juxtapositions.
proximity, nearness, closeness;
Linguistics collocation, colligation
- Example sentences
- Search out the remarkable ‘Still Life’ on the right wall and marvel at the adventurous use of juxtapositional colour: reds and pinks and greens that only a master can get away with.
- Herman's juxtapositional method usually helps her to ground ethical concerns in analyses of how difference and affiliation could be conceived in the period and thus to avoid reducing modernist community to a proleptic postmodernism.
- In a culturally plural world, subjectivity and intersubjectivity have an accommodating, juxtapositional complexity that binary distinctions misrepresent.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: juxta|pos¦ition
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.