noun (plural same)South African
- A large predatory marine fish of the drum family, found in the Mediterranean, East Atlantic, and SW Indian Ocean. It is an important food fish in southern Africa. Called meagre2 in Britain.
More example sentences
- Argyrosomus hololepidotus, family Sciaenidae
- Dishes include seafood, from kingklip, hake to kabeljou and mussels as well as lamb and chicken for the meat-lovers.
- The company fishes for snoek, kabeljou and calamari, and exports to the Ukraine and Cape Town.
- A magazine put up N$3000 for the biggest kolstert and the biggest kabeljou will fetch its catcher N$3000 put up by a local bank.
early 18th century: from Afrikaans, from Dutch, 'cod'.