- A crested, almost flightless bluish-grey bird related to the rails, which is found only on the Pacific island of New Caledonia, and is now endangered.
More example sentences
- Rhynochetos jubatus, the only member of the family Rhynochetidae
- The loss of much of New Caledonia's native forests has caused the numbers of kagus to decline.
- Standing knee-high to a human and weighing about two pounds, kagus have long fascinated ornithologists.
- It is believed than less than 1,000 kagus still live in New Caledonia, mostly in the South Province.
mid 19th century: from Melanesian.