- An evergreen leathery-leaved shrub of the heather family, bearing large clusters of pink or red flowers. It is native to North America and Cuba and widely grown as an ornamental.
More example sentences
- Genus Kalmia, family Ericaceae
- At this time of year, the woodland garden brims with masses of colour coming from the thousands of rhododendrons, camellias, kalmias and magnolias.
- So far, ramorum dieback has been found mostly on rhododendrons and viburnums, although it has also been identified on camellia, kalmia, pieris, syringa and yew.
- Unfortunately there came a point where one had to stop reading about kalmias & fragrant catalpas & shuffle off to teach some students, but it was a very jolly start to the day.
modern Latin, named after Pehr Kalm (1716–1779), Swedish botanist.
More definitions of kalmiaDefinition of kalmia in:
- The US English dictionary