An evergreen leathery-leaved shrub of the heather family, bearing large clusters of pink or red flowers. It is native to North America and Cuba and widely grown as an ornamental.
- Genus Kalmia, family Ericaceae
More example sentences
- At this time of year, the woodland garden brims with masses of colour coming from the thousands of rhododendrons, camellias, kalmias and magnolias.
- So far, ramorum dieback has been found mostly on rhododendrons and viburnums, although it has also been identified on camellia, kalmia, pieris, syringa and yew.
- Unfortunately there came a point where one had to stop reading about kalmias & fragrant catalpas & shuffle off to teach some students, but it was a very jolly start to the day.
modern Latin, named after Pehr Kalm (1716–1779), Swedish botanist.
Definition of kalmia in:
- The US English dictionary