- An alloy of iron and nickel occurring in some meteorites.More example sentences
- Nearby is a unique 60-cm-high Boguslavka iron meteorite, which is the fragment of a single, giant monocrystal of kamacite (an alloy of meteoritic iron and nickel).
- At times kamacite can be found so closely intermixed with taenite that it is difficult to distinguish them visually.
- In cut sections kamacite looks like metallic iron and like the other important nickel-iron mineral, taenite.
late 19th century: from Greek kamax, kamak- 'vine pole' (because of the occurrence of the alloy in bar-shaped masses) + -ite1.
More definitions of kamaciteDefinition of kamacite in:
- The US English dictionary