- Surprisingly, many of these are inorganic minerals; for example talc and kaolin or china clay.
- The white kaolin clay has extra fine particles that simultaneously thwart insects and act as an alkaline barrier to fungal spores.
- But the fine, white clay called kaolin was essential.
kaolinize (also kaolinise) verb
- Example sentences
- No shell material has been found, which in view of the highly kaolinized, tropically weathered nature of the matrix is not surprising.
- The material has been highly kaolinized, with no original shell material preserved.
- Some of the feldspars are altered to the pale-greenish or whitish kaolinized and sericitized stage.
Early 18th century: from French, from Chinese gāolǐng, literally 'high hill', the name of a mountain in Jiangxi province where the clay is found.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: kao¦lin
Definition of kaolin in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.