- A coupling link with a safety closure, used by rock climbers.More example sentences
- The Rock Climbing Section minimized rope burn while rappelling (then called ‘roping down’) by feeding the rope through a carabiner, a metal link attached to their gear.
- The latter use may score the karabiner, leading to deterioration of any rope, running through it.
- Make sure you buy a good pear-shaped locking carabiner (either screw-gate or locking-gate type).
1930s: shortened from German Karabiner-haken 'spring hook'.
More definitions of karabinerDefinition of karabiner in:
- The US English dictionary