Definition of karma in English:
1(In Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person’s actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.
- They accept the religion's basic concepts of dharma, samsara, karma, and ahimsa.
- Three important concepts within Hinduism are dharma, karma, and reincarnation.
- In other words, he was preaching karma, samsara and moksha.
1.1 informal Good or bad luck, viewed as resulting from one’s actions.
- Circumstance, I said, is a factor which some might call chance, fate, luck, serendipity, or karma.
- Some people believe that visiting and making merit at nine temples in a single day will bring them luck and good karma.
- It explains why some people seem to have permanent good luck; a magic touch which is often explained as karma.
From Sanskrit karman 'action, effect, fate'.
- Example sentences
- So perhaps there's some karmic thing going on here.
- My karmic debt was that I abused my freedom in my last life.
- In your individual life, however, you have infinite opportunity to act in concert with the karmic imperatives of your soul.
- Example sentences
- To be honest, it makes me feel sad for the people who are coming up with it, because I think, karmically, it can't be very good for you.
- Meat is already the most karmically / chemically toxic and environmentally wasteful food you can eat, let alone try to grow healthy, long-lived kids on.
- Being unconscious of the custom's existence, her actions could be considered karmically neutral, as she lacked the intention to offend.
Words that rhyme with karmaamah, armour (US armor), Atacama, Brahma, Bramah, charmer, cyclorama, dharma, diorama, disarmer, drama, embalmer, farmer, Kama, lama, llama, Matsuyama, panorama, Parma, pranayama, Rama, Samar, Surinamer, Vasco da Gama, Yama, Yokohama
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan