- (In Japan) death caused by overwork or job-related exhaustion: [as modifier]: karoshi victimsMore example sentences
- Newly released karoshi figures from Japan's Health, Labour and Welfare Ministry, covering 2002, show a record 317 deaths that were directly attributable to long hours in the office.
- A conservative estimate puts the number of karoshi cases in Japan at 10,000, though the real figure may be nearer 30,000 and some even say 50,000.
- The jump was due largely to a redefinition of karoshi to encompass up to six months of accumulated work-related stress and fatigue instead of the previous standard of just one week.
Japanese, from ka 'excess' + rō 'labour' + shi 'death'.
More definitions of karoshiDefinition of karoshi in:
- The US English dictionary