- (Of a wind) caused by local downward motion of cool air.More example sentences
- The most famous katabatic wind in Europe is the Mistral, which blows down the Rhône valley in southern France and out into the Mediterranean.
- The most extreme type of katabatic wind is found in the Antarctic where cold gusts of wind surge across the polar ice caps.
- As a result of katabatic winds, temperatures in valleys and low lying areas can be significantly lower…
late 19th century: from Greek katabatikos, from katabainein 'go down'.
More definitions of katabaticDefinition of katabatic in:
- The US English dictionary