noun (plural same or kelpfishes)
Any of a number of fish that live among kelp or other marine algae, in particular:
- ● A small fish with the dorsal fin running the length of the body, of the Pacific coast of North America (Gibbonsia and other genera, family Clinidae). ● An Australian fish which lives among seagrass and algae (family Chironemidae: several genera).
More example sentences
- Little blennies popped in and out of holes, and eastern kelpfish and stinky groupers were much in evidence.
- Most are small fish, measuring as little as 5 cm, but Heterostichus rostratus, or giant kelpfish, can reach 60 cm.
- Kelpfish use their colour and acting skills to blend in with the leaves of kelp.
Definition of kelpfish in:
- The US English dictionary